Lucy is the managing partner of the firm and chair of its health law, and its intellectual property, technology and Internet law groups. She represents businesses and individuals on a wide variety of business and intellectual property issues. Lucy is also a litigator, handling complex commercial cases in both state and federal courts in both Massachusetts and New York. Much of Lucy’s practice is devoted to advising clients in the fields of health law and nonprofit law. Her clients include artists and writers, manufacturers, emerging technology companies, non-profit organizations, and health care providers.
Lucy is very active in the Southern Berkshire community. She has served for over 20 years as town counsel to the Town of Alford, where she lives with her husband and daughter. Lucy is President and Chairperson of the board of directors of the Literacy Network of South Berkshire. She is also a member of the Berkshire Hills Fund for Excellence (an educational enrichment fund that supports the Berkshire Regional School District), and the Education Committee of the Mahaiwe Performing Arts Center. Together with the Berkshire United Way, Lucy launched an early childhood literacy initiative in South Berkshire County known as “Chapter One, Our Kids, Our Towns, Our Future” with the goal of closing the achievement gap for children entering kindergarten.
- Serves as primary outside counsel to largest health system in Berkshire County.
- Serves as general counsel to several manufacturing companies with worldwide distribution networks.
- Serves as general counsel to several nonprofit entities dedicated to the arts.
- Represented Fortune 500 companies in complex litigation in federal courts in Massachusetts, New York and Texas.
- Served as adjunct professor at Albany (N.Y.) Law School, where she taught technology licensing from 1993 to 2004.
- Former partner of New York City firm of Milgrim, Thomajan & Lee PC, with a concentration in intellectual property litigation.
- Former staff attorney at the Federal Trade Commission in Washington , D.C. , where she litigated antitrust enforcement actions.
PUBLICATIONS AND PRESENTATIONS
- “Copyright Ownership, Fair Use, and Academic Freedom: Finding the Balance,” featured speaker, Capital Area Technology Association, April 2014.
- “Tempting Tweets and Facebook Flops,” published article, Berkshire Business Quarterly, October 2010.
- “Keeping Secrets: Securing the crown jewels in a down economy,” published article, Berkshire Business Quarterly, August 2009.
- “Fair Game or Foul Play? Testing the limits of Fair Use in a Remix Culture,” featured speaker, Consulting Alliance, February 2009.
- Navigating Stark Laws, featured speaker, Patient Keeper User Group Conference, September, 2007
- “Massachusetts Health Care Reform, Small Businesses and the Contingent Workforce,” Massachusetts Continuing Legal Education, June, 2006
- “Practicing Safe Send: Managing E-mail Risk,” featured speaker, Southern Berkshire Chamber of Commerce, January 2006, published article, Berkshire Trade and Commerce , February 2006.
- “Protecting the Crown Jewels: Intellectual Property Do’s and Don’ts,” featured speaker, Berkshire Chamber of Commerce, March 2004.
- “From Safe Send to Safe Save – Managing E-mail Risk,” featured speaker, Siena Business Institute , November 2003; Consulting Alliance May 2003.
- “Artists Online: The Evolving Law of the Internet,” featured speaker, Norman Rockwell Museum, Business and the Arts Series, July 2003
- Copyright Law and the Internet, featured speaker, New York State Bar Association, September 2000.
Lucy Prashker, Managing Partner
Great Barrington & Pittsfield, MA
Direct Dial (413) 629-1305
Direct Fax (413) 528-5553
AREAS OF PRACTICE
- Health Information Technology Licensing
- Medical malpractice defense
- Internet Law
- Privacy Law
EDUCATION AND CLERKSHIPS
University of Massachusetts, B.S., 1977, summa cum laude
Albany Law School of Union University, J.D., 1981, magna cum laude
Editor and Member, Albany Law Review
New York State Supreme Court, Appellate Division, Third Department,
Law Clerk 1981-1982
District of Columbia (inactive)
U.S. Supreme Court
U.S. Court of Appeals, Second Circuit
U.S. District Court, District of Massachusetts
U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York
U.S. District Court, Eastern District of New York
U.S. District Court, Northern District of New York
American Health Lawyers Association
American Bar Association
Berkshire Bar Association
Massachusetts City Solicitors and Town Counsel Association
Volunteer Lawyers for the Arts