Diane is an experienced trial lawyer and is chair of the firm’s litigation department. Inside or outside a courtroom, whether advising an employer on workplace issues or helping a family in the process of separation, Diane is fully committed to advancing the interests of her clients. She regularly educates and defends businesses in employment discrimination complaints statewide before the Massachusetts Commission Against Discrimination and the Equal Employment Opportunities Commission. A passionate advocate, she takes time to understand the needs of each client and design individualized, flexible strategies to meet those needs. Diane also works as a trained mediator in the area of family law to help couples in transition from marriage to divorce by using a cooperative approach that empowers individuals to reach a fair resolution with dignity and respect. She received her training from the Divorce Mediation Training Associates and is a member of the Massachusetts Council on Family Mediation.
- Selected in 2018 as Lawyer of the Year by Best Lawyers in New England in the specialty of family law
- Selected for inclusion in Best Lawyers in America in the specialties of family law and/or employment law each year from 2006
- Selected by Boston Magazine as one of Massachusetts’ Super Lawyers in 2010 in the area of employment law and family law.
- Tries civil cases in federal court, superior court and probate court regularly
- Represented employer in landmark drug testing case
- Represents private schools and nonprofit corporations in areas of health and education
- Serves as outside counsel to largest health care system in Berkshire County in defense of medical malpractice claims
- Serves as panelist in seminars and round table discussions for continuing legal education in the areas of trial practice, employment law and domestic relations
RECENT SPEAKING ENGAGEMENTS AND PUBLICATIONS
- “Cutting Edge Issues in Western Massachusetts Family Law Practice” featured speaker, Massachusetts Continuing Legal Education, March 6, 2018
- “Cutting Edge Issues in Western Massachusetts Family Law Practice 2015” featured speaker, Massachusetts Continuing Legal Education, March 27, 2015.
- Annual featured speaker at Human Resources Association of Berkshire County on topics including “Medical Marijuana in the Workplace”, “Recent Developments in Employment Law”, “Staying on the Up and Up in a Down Economy” and most recently in March 2015 “The Season of Changing Leaves”.
- “Foreclosure in the Context of Divorce” featured speaker, Massachusetts Continuing Legal Education, February 29, 2012.
- “Bankruptcy and Family Law,” featured speaker, Massachusetts Bar Association 20th Family Law Conference, November 2011.
- “Employment Law” featured speaker for the Berkshire Association for Paralegals and Legal Assistants, November 12, 2008.
- “The Most Common Mistakes You Can Make With Your Employee Handbook in Massachusetts,” featured speaker, Lorman Educational Seminars, July 25, 2006.”Workplace Privacy,” featured speaker for Associated Industries of Massachusetts, April 2006.
- “Criminal Background Checks Present Benefits, Burdens for Employers,” published article, Berkshire Trade and Commerce, May 2006.
- Featured in video of mock hearing for judicial enhancement, 2006.
IN THE COMMUNITY
Diane is very active in the community. She currently serves on the Board of the Elizabeth Freeman Center, which is the front line and major safety net in Berkshire County for all persons affected by domestic violence. In addition to the board, she chairs the Personnel and Membership Committee and is a member of the Finance Committee. For many years, Diane served as the attorney coach for the Lenox High School Mock Trial Team, which finished in the top 16 of the state in multiple years.