A former Land Court law clerk and long-time Land Court Title Examiner, Syd has more than 40 years of experience in representing buyers, sellers, landlords, lenders and developers of real estate throughout Massachusetts. With his counsel, Syd’s clients have developed major single family home and condominium projects as well as commercial, warehousing, shopping center and special purpose buildings, such as hotels and resorts. A former town counsel for a number of Berkshire County communities, and as a former Massachusetts municipal official, Syd understands and practices the art and science of real estate project permitting. One of 34 Massachusetts members of the prestigious American College of Real Estate Lawyers, and the only member from Berkshire County, Syd maintains a high level of professional education and contact with prominent real estate practitioners nationwide. Syd regularly serves an an expert witness in real estate title, easement and roadway cases. Syd was the Editor-in-Chief of Crocker’s Notes on Common Forms 10th Ed., MCLE 2013. Syd maintains the highest “AV” Martindale-Hubbell rating from his professional peers.
- 2013 recipient of the Life Trustee Award given by The Trustees of Reservations.
- Past President of the Massachusetts Conveyancers Association (now REBA)
- Past President of the Abstract Club, a Massachusetts association of real estate lawyers limited by its by-laws to 100 members.
- Member of the REBA/Abstract Club joint Amicus Committee.
- In 1985-1986 developed and obtained the necessary zoning change and all permits for the development of Cranwell Resort in Lenox, MA; in 2016 obtained all permits for development of a Miraval Resort at Cranwell.
- Drafted and obtained necessary zone change to authorize bed and breakfast uses in the town of Lee, MA.
- Obtained necessary permits and environmental approvals for development of a large Central Berkshire hotel and a smaller urban boutique hotel.
- Emeritus member of the Real Estate Bar Association for Massachusetts Alternative Dispute Resolution Panel mediating cases involving real estate controversies throughout the state.
- Editor-in-chief of Crockers Notes on Common Forms 10th Ed., MCLE 2013.
- Author of two chapters for Crocker’s Notes on Common Forms and chapters in Massachusetts Municipal Law and Massachusetts Title Practice, publications of the Massachusetts Contining Legal Education (MCLE) program.
- Participated in more than thirty MCLE programs as a speaker and author.
- Authored Streets and Ways, which has appeared in MCLE publications and in a publication of the Massachusetts Association of Land Surveyors and Civil Engineers, Inc. of which Syd is an honorary member.
- Panelist on Public Ways Update at the March 2011 Massachusetts Continuing Legal Education 9th annual Municipal Law Conference.